Attempted Duplicating Form Failed Need Help

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Hi All,

I found that this form worked very well for my contact form, so much so that I wanted to use it twice.

So I recreated the form files in the zip changed the ContactForm.ascx to suit my needs for the second form I wanted to use it for: a simple one input signup for a newsletter.

I attempted this by changing the ContactForm page as mentioned above then dived into the DNN Quick Form.dnn file and renamed the "DNN Quick Form" references in there to "Newsletter Form" and changed the "DnnQuickForm" foldername to "NewsletterForm" thinking that this would suffice in creating a new instance of the module. I also renamed the dll file in the bin directory, to and pointed to new name in the .dnn file.

I thought I was about to be successful with this change, but after loading the new extension into DNN and no errors coming up saying the module failed passed through the popup modal to the "return" button then on clicking it the server crashed.

Came up with Server in '/' Application error:
Could not load file or assembly 'NewsletterForm' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can remove this second module now as all admin pages and user side links to the server now fail?

Thanks...
Nov 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Hi, this is not the way to use the module "twice".
You can use the same module with many different forms on different pages, as you do with most of the standard modules.
Install the original module once, and DNN will create the instances as you put the module on the page.
What you attempted doesn't work because renaming the .dll name broke the module. But as I said before this is no the way to do what you want.
Beside that your problem now is that the DNN site is not usable.
I think you could try to find the module name in the table ModuleDefinitions using the column DefinitionName, then using the value for ModuleDefID search in the table Modules and mark it as deleted in the column IsDeleted. I'm not sure is this will work...

Regards,
Gino.
Dec 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Hi Gino,

Thanks for your reply!!! You are correct, I had broken the entire website and had to go into the Database tables and remove the records for the module that I had tried to install with the different .dll I had renamed. I was able to restore the website by doing this, and in looking around for the solution happened upon the proper area to upload a different skin for the module to be used on other pages for a newsletter signup form as well as the skin I designed for the contact us form on the contact page.

Although now I have the same problem as mentioned in “Multiple forms on same page Validates All” I also do not have Visual Studio installed on my machine and am wondering if I can use the .dll that you created for the other gentleman that was experiencing this problem?

Thanks,

Marty

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Hi Marty,

Yes, of course.
Get it from here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101274719/DNNQuickForm4.zip

Regards,
Gino.